Write For Us
Speculative Chic is a volunteer effort, which means in order to produce content on a daily basis (at least during the work-week), we need a lot of volunteers! If you’re interested in joining us, continue on:
What kind of writers are we looking for?
Speculative Chic is looking for writers who are excited about the genre. Specifically, they’re excited about what they’re consuming within the genre and they want to talk about it. Writers don’t have to love everything they’re talking about, but they do have to talk about it in a clear, concise manner. We’re looking for writers who can work with their assigned editors and meet their assigned deadlines, and if life gets in the way, find an appropriate compromise with their editors. We need writers who can accept criticism and make corrections in a timely manner. Those writers also need to be willing to promote their work on the blog and on their own social media outlets, as well as be willing to participate within the blog and promote other pieces that they enjoy, because we are currently growing by word of mouth.
Submit a Writing Sample
What kind of writing sample, you may ask? That’s easy. Pick from the following:
- Do you have a blog? Do you write for an online magazine or forum? Send us a link or two to your work. Bonus points if it’s speculative fiction related.
- No blog? No articles? No problem.
- Send us your version of a My Favorite Thing. 100-300 words describing what your current favorite speculative fiction thing is and why. Feel free to browse through our favorites if you’d like to see our favorites in action.
- Or, send us a Sound Off of the latest Speculative Fiction movie you’ve seen. 300-500 words discussing what your reaction was. It doesn’t matter if your reaction was good, bad, or ugly, because it’s not a review. If you’d like to see how we react to movies, just check out our recent Sound Offs.
- Or, would you rather submit a book review? Speculative Chic reviews all kinds of books so long as those books are considered speculative, or at least related to the genre. Reviews should be no longer than 3,500 words, and they should follow the formatting that we use in the blog, which can be found if you browse through our book reviews here. Bonus points if you review a book that has not yet been reviewed on the blog (and isn’t slated to be): if you’re accepted, we’ll want to get your piece live as soon as possible.
- Or, if none of these speak to you, and you have a specific idea for a post (see our guest posts here), then simply submit a proposal of what you’d like to write about. No more than 1,000 words, and guest posts can be about anything that we talk about on the blog.
Okay, I’ve submitted. What next?
The administrators will review your sample/proposal and reach out to you with a yes or thanks, but no thanks. If we pass, we may offer feedback or request you try again, or we may not.
If we say yes, congratulations! We will then start asking for some information to get you set up and get the ball rolling.
The goal will be to respond to your writing sample/proposal within one to two weeks. If you don’t hear from us within two weeks, please reach out and inquire, because life has gotten in the way and tried to swallow the administrators whole.
Still interested? Please fill out the form below!